Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Harmless Viruses Might be a Potential Treatment for Acne


Guest Post – Lily Bryant

According to a report published in the Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprology, there are thought to be between two million and three million acne sufferers in India. Acne can lead to low self-esteem and image problems and is the scourge of teenage boys all over the country. Fortunately towards the end of 2012, researchers at the University of California, Los Angeles, and the University of Pittsburgh in the United States discovered that phages living on our skin possess the ability to kill propionibacterium acnes, which is the virus that causes it. This could be good news for those whose skin is tarnished by this condition and mean that an end is in sight.

There has been a rapid increase in the promotion of drugs aimed at enhancing individuals’ physical appearances in recent years. The weight loss industry has grown at a yearly rate of over twenty-five percent, with more people than ever purchasing diet pills and fat burners, the hair loss treatment industry has been growing by one percent per year and the acne treatment industry has also seen significant growth. People’s daily lives are affected in a major way by how they look so a cure for acne could be both highly profitable for the pharmaceutical company that is responsible for it and highly beneficial to sufferers.

Immune Resistance Unlikely to Develop

In order to arrive at their discovery, the researchers at the two universities analysed phages and deduced that they make endolysin, which breaks down propionibacterium acnes before killing it. They also discovered that the phages shared eighty-five percent of their DNA. This is unusual for viruses and means that when used as a treatment, it would be unlikely that immune resistance would develop.

Advantages Over Other Forms of Treatment

Unlike antibiotics, which kill many different types of bacteria including ones that live in the gut and can have positive effects, phages are programmed to only target specific bacteria. According to director of the University of California, Los Angeles, Clinic for Acne, Rosacea and Aesthetics Dr Jenny Kim, who was one of the researchers, many acne strains are now resistant to antibiotics such as tetracycline, as they are so widely used. Drugs like Accutane are still effective but can have risky side effects, which limits their use. The researchers at the two universities have stated that phages could offer a tailored therapy that has less adverse side effects. Therefore phages could be the new form of acne medication that those inflicted with the condition have been looking for.


Development of New Drugs and Treatments 

Study co-author Graham Hatfull, who is a biotechnology professor at the University of Pittsburgh, has stated that there are two ways in which this research could be used with regards to the development of new drugs and treatments. He says that phages could either be used directly as therapy for acne or phage-based components could be utilised. Professor Hatfull also says that the work that the University of California, Los Angeles, and the University of Pittsburgh have carried out has provided the world with useful information about phages and paved the way for the thinking up of potential applications for them. He points out that whilst acne is a condition that a significant percentage of the population is likely to suffer from at some point in their lives, there are still currently few effective methods for curing it. Hatfull says that harnessing a virus that naturally preys upon the bacteria that causes spots looks to be a promising means of reducing both the physical and the mental scars that acne can inflict upon individuals.

Implications of the Research

It appears that being forced to endure pimples and spots could soon bee a thing of the past. The results of a study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology in 2010 demonstrate that acne can severely negatively impact upon the self-esteem of sufferers and increase the risk of them developing psychological disorders. It can make them two to three times more likely to become clinically depressed. Therefore it is high time that there was a means of treating it and phages could provide the answer. Now it is just a matter of deciding what the best way of using them to gain the optimum results in acne reduction is.

About Lily Bryant

Lily Bryant is a writer working with one of only two licensed online pharmacies in the US. She is strongly interested in promoting and creating content aimed at relevant readers as part of her role in ethical healthcare business. She believes that it is important that we play a strong role in leading society towards a healthier lifestyle through the promotion of exercise and healthy diet rather than an early adoption of drug treatment.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the informative post.

Amelia said...

For a few years, I've been struggling with moderate acne. I've tried many drugstore products, and not many have worked for me. If I find something that does work, it only does for a few months and then it seems like my skin gets immune to it and my acne come right back, even worse! Help!!! exposed skincare treatment

Alaina said...

I have an allergic reaction to salicylic acid. Every time I use a acne product that has that ingredient I get a rash, burning, break outs, and excessive amounts of white heads. I am looking into benzoyl peroxide products. Do you guy's know any good highly recommended acne treatments? acne treatments at home

Anonymous said...

Your curгent write-up has confirmed uѕeful
to mе. It’s really informative and you гeally are clearly quitе knowledgеable in this
area. You havе opеneԁ up mу eye fοr you to numerouѕ vіews on this kind of subjеct mаtter along ωіth inteгеsting and ѕound written content.


Also visit my weblοg; levitra

celina said...

Medical scientists have discovered a new way to battle
ACNE by using a man called Dr. OZA
MY NAME IS CELINA .I SAW A COMMENT ON ACNE
BLOGS AND I WILL LOVE TO TELL EVERY BODY HOW I WAS
CURED!,
AND AM NOW A LIVING WITNESS OF IT AND I THINK ITS A
SHAME ON ME IF I DON'T SHARE THIS LOVELY STORY WITH
OTHER PEOPLE INFECTED WITH THIS DEADLY VIRUS.
ACNE HAS BEEN ONGOING IN MY FAMILY, I LOST BOTH
PARENTS TO HERPES. AND IT IS SO MUCH PAIN I'VE NOT
BEEN ABLE TO GET OVER..
AS WE ALL KNOW MEDICALLY THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO
IT..AND MEDICATION IS VERY EXPENSIVE..SO SOMEONE
INTRODUCED ME TO A HERBAL PRACTITIONER IN AFRICA..
I HAD A JOB THERE TO EXECUTE SO I TOOK TIME TO CHECK
OUT ON HIM.I SHOWED HIM ALL MY TESTS AND RESULTS..
I WAS ALREADY DISORGANIZED WITH HERPES AND IT WAS
ALREADY TAKING ITS TOWL ON ME..
I HAD SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS SO I DECIDED TO
TRY HIM OUT ALTHOUGH I DID'NT BELIEVE IN IT,
I WAS JUST TRYING IT OUT OF FRUSTRATION? AND AFTER 2
DAYS, HE SENT ME THE PORTION ND I USED IT AND WAS
CURED.
AND YOU WON'T BELIEVE THAT 5 DIFFERENT DOCTORS
CONFIRMED IT THAT AM CURED ..IT WAS LIKE A DREAM,,I
NEVER BELIEVE ACNE HAS CURE..AM NOW CURED,,
AM A LIVING WITNESS..I DON'T KNOW HOW TO THANK THIS
MAN? I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS IN ANY WAY I CAN..
I HAVE JOINED MANY FORUMS AND HAVE POSTED THIS
TESTIMONIES AND ALOT OF PEOPLE HAS MAIL AND CALLED
THIS MAN ON PHONE AND AFTER THEY ALL CONFIRMED
CURED.
BBC NEWS TOOK IT LIVE AND EVERY EVERYBODY SAW IT
AND ITS NOW OUT IN PAPERS AND MAGAZINES THAT
THERE IS A HERBAL CURE FOR ACNE AND ALL WITH THE
HELP OF THIS MAN,,
IF YOU WISH, TAKE IT OR NOT..GOD KNOWS I HAVE TRIED
MY BEST. ABOUT 28 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED
CURED THROUGH THE HERBAL CURE OF DR.OZA.
AND THEY SEND MAILS TO THANKS ME AFTER THEY HAVE
BEEN CONFIRMED CURED,THIS MAN IS REAL..DON'T MISS
THIS CHANCE,,ACNE IS A DEADLY VIRUS,,GET RID OF IT
NOW..
If there is anyone who has similar problem and still
looking for a way out, his email still remains
doctorozaspellherbalhome@yahoo.com or call him on
+2348135738602
YOU CAN ASLO REACH ME ON OMOAREBUNCELINA@GMAIL.COM or call
me (951) 643-2085

Jessica Morgan said...

Am Jessica Morgan,i have read testimonies about this great man called Dr.Ekpiku how he helped people to get pregnant and also help people to cure Herpes simplex virus with his herbal medicine, so i decided to give him a try, i am here today to give my own testimony on how this great man helped me to cure my Herpes disease and also helped my sister to get pregnant, i just told him and he said he was going to work on it miraculously and in a short period of time i was lifted from these terrible disease. And it took my sister just a week to get pregnant after he was done. Contact this great man and He will help you no matter the problem you are facing. Email him at ekpikuspelhomeofgrace@gmail.com or ekpikuspelhomeofgrace@hotmail.com call +2348073673757 OR whatsapp him.THESE ARE THE THINGS Dr. Ekpiku. . HERPES . HIV/AIDS . CANCER

Joyce Benson said...

Hi
my name is Joyce from England, I want to thank Dr Ekpiku for helping me Getting Rid of my HIV Virus disease. I was Diagnosed of this Virus for 3 years but after the Usage of Dr Ekpiku Herbal Medicine, I was Cured and up till now, The Symptoms of the HIV Virus is completely Gone.. So anyone who wants to reach Dr Ekpiku should do that by emailing him ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com or ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@hotmail.com or call him +2347055029151.God we Bless You.

Mabel Raymond said...



Dr. Tope herbal medicine is a good remedy for Herpes, I was a carrier of Herpes and I saw a testimony on how Dr. Tope cure Herpes, I decided to contact, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr. Tope herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr. Tope, reach him on doctortopeherbalhome@gmail.com Or contact his number via +2348112252378 or you can as well add him on whatsapp with same number

DOCTOR TOPE CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-

1. HIV/AIDS
2. HERPES
3. CANCER ALL KINDS
4. ALS
5. Hepatitis A,B,C
6. Diabetes
7. CHRONIC DISEASE
8. Coronary Artery Disease (Ischemic Heart Disease)
9. Alopecia
10.Bipolar disorder
11.Bedwetting
12.Carpal tunnel syndrome
13.Celiac disease
14.Ear Infections
15.Endometriosis
16.Epilepsy
17.Chlamydia
18.Syphilis
19.Gonorrhea

caldin anya said...

This is a testimony i want to make.I was an HIV positive for 8 years taking anti retrovirus.As i was reading online some 5 months ago i saw a testimony on cure of HIV.I decided to give a try.Now as am telling you am very negative tested 4 times in 5 months after finishing mu cure.The cure is a pure herbs from Africa shipped to me through DHL.My cure took about 4 to 7 days.Dear brothers and sisters if you are out there,please the cure is out and rush to have yours.If you are interested,email the researcher using ehigraceherbalhivcure@gmail. com, or visit his websites http://ehigraceherbalhivcure.webs.com I will encourage every person who come across this mail to cure yourself if you are positive.THESE ARE THE THINGS Dr. Ehi. HERPES. HIV/AIDS. CANCER. ALS .

caldin anya said...

This is a testimony i want to make.I was an HIV positive for 8 years taking anti retrovirus.As i was reading online some 5 months ago i saw a testimony on cure of HIV.I decided to give a try.Now as am telling you am very negative tested 4 times in 5 months after finishing mu cure.The cure is a pure herbs from Africa shipped to me through DHL.My cure took about 4 to 7 days.Dear brothers and sisters if you are out there,please the cure is out and rush to have yours.If you are interested,email the researcher using ehigraceherbalhivcure@gmail. com, or visit his websites http://ehigraceherbalhivcure.webs.com I will encourage every person who come across this mail to cure yourself if you are positive.THESE ARE THE THINGS Dr. Ehi. HERPES. HIV/AIDS. CANCER. ALS .

James Smith said...

I am from los angeles,california, I want to testify on how i got cured from HIV AIDS, I got infected with HIV AIDS disease in 2011 and I have visited several herbalists, spiritualists and pastors for cure but all to no avail, my world was gradually coming to an end until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal spell caster from Africa who casts herbal spells to cure all kinds of deadly diseases including HIV AIDS, ALS, MND, Epilepsy, Leukemia, Asthma, Cancer, Ghonorhea etc, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contacted this herbal spell caster via his email, he prepared a herbal spell portion and sent it to me via courier service, when i received this herbal spell portion, he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed, i was cured of this deadly disease within 7days, I am now HIV Negative (-) all thanks to Dr. ODUMEGU . Contact this great herbal spell caster via his Email: dr.odumeguspiritualhome@gmail.com or call 234 705 907 4351 Goodluck.

OGUDUGU SPELL CASTER said...

My husband is back!!! I had a problem with my husband 2 months ago,which lead to us apart. When he broke up with me,i was no longer myself,i felt so empty inside me. Until a friend of mine told me about one of her spells that helped her in same problem too that she found on a television program. I emailed the spell caster and I told him my problem and I did what he asked me. To cut the long story short,before I knew what was happening,not up to 48 hours,my husband gave me a call and he come back to me and told me he was sorry about what has happened, I'm so grateful to this spell caster and i will not stop publishing his name on the internet just for the good work he has done for me.If you need his help,you can email him at (greatogudugu@gmail.com)and he will also help you.

anonymous said...

Good-day viewers that is reading this article , my name is NICHOLAS FROM AUSTRALIA, i want to share to the world how this great man save me from HERPES VIRUS,some 3years back i was battling with this terrible and disastrous disease which was so detesting,well on my aid of looking for solution all my effort conceived nothing,i was lugubrious and conundrum,one day out of great enthusiasm i saw this intrigue testimonies about DR Osemen,so afterwards i contacted Dr Osemen on his emails: healinghomeofallsickness@outlook.com ,i explained myself to him and i obeyed all his instruction without protesting any further he assured me that all will be fine and that was it,i was totally cure when i used the herbal medicine that was sent to me,thank so much sir Dr Osemen for your help,should you are going through this same infection yours can also be cured,contact him here for any type of diseases, like HIV/ADS , CANCER, ALS, STROKE , ULCER ,ETC. EMAIL HIM NOW : HEALINGHOMEOFALLSICKNESS@OUTLOOK.COM